The Rudd Scholarship Program
“The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.”
- Sydney J. Harris
The Rudd Scholarship is a Kansas program for Kansas residents who qualify for a Pell Grant and have the grit and determination to achieve their long term goals. This program believes in the Midwestern values of humility, hard work and integrity that make this state and its people great. This scholarship strives to help the brightest Kansas minds stay in Kansas and build new businesses, teach in it's schools, lead in it's communities and achieve excellence in all that they do right here in Kansas. (See Founder's letter to candidates here.)
The Rudd Scholarship is a competitive, 4-year award designed to pay any remaining costs associated with tuition and fees, books and supplies, and room and board after accounting for all other grants, scholarships and financial awards. It can be applied only towards studies at either Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, or Wichita State University for full-time students in pursuit of an undergraduate degree provided a student maintains the renewal criteria below. Selection is based on the aptitude to succeed at the collegiate level, graduate in 4 years, and be a productive and contributing member of their chosen profession, their community and society as a whole. (See previous winners here.)
- Must be a US Citizen or a permanent resident.
- Must be a resident of the state of Kansas and qualify for in-state tuition.
- Must have a cumulative, unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Graduating high school in 2019 and will enroll full-time in the Fall.
- Demonstrated financial need (Pell-eligible).
- Must be admitted and will attend either Emporia State, Fort Hays State, or Wichita State University.
Rudd Scholars are a select group of students chosen for their leadership, grit, determination, work ethic, academic performance and overall potential. Requirements of scholars include:
- Living on campus in pre-approved dormitories/rooms
- Joining residential learning communities where applicable
- Participating in clubs, sports, and other college extracurriculars
- Active member of the Rudd Scholar Program and getting to know the other scholars through attendance at the Scholar Recognition Dinner, Back-to-School reception, occasional cohort summits on life skills and career topics, guest speakers, regular advisor meetings, internship assistance, networking opportunities, etc.
By removing the financial burden of a college education, we expect Rudd Scholars to be vibrant members of student life and immerse themselves in the college experience. Rudd Scholars meet as a group periodically throughout the year at foundation sponsored events and are exposed to extraordinary speakers, events, and activities outside of the classroom that will prepare them for a life after college and shape them for a dynamic future. Scholars will also have the opportunity to network with leaders in their future professions, build relationships among themselves, and serve to help the next generation of scholars through an active and connected alumni association after graduation.
If selected, the scholarship can be renewed each year providing the student submits a renewal application and meets the following mandatory criteria:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA each and every semester
- On track to graduate in 4 years
- Complete FAFSA form annually
- Satisfactory participation in Rudd Scholar Program activities
The program staff will support and assist scholars each step of the way to help them maintain these academic standards and remain in good standing. However the program is not just looking for good students, but a real commitment to achieve something larger. Participants don't just receive a scholarship to pay the cost of attendance, but a lifetime education to achieve their potential. This program seeks real "go-getters" who have the capacity to take advantage of this opportunity and rise to the next level.
The scholarship application portal will open on October 8, 2018 for Kansas High School seniors to compete for one of our scholarships. The deadline to have a fully submitted application with all required documents is December 14, 2018. Check back in the Fall for a link here to begin your application.